Comment on page
Resume: work experience
- Explain what the company does (in several words).
- Try to add why the company is impressive. Example: "the largest logistics company in Eastern Europe with clients in 78 countries."
- If it's a resume file, not a professional networking profile, consider adding a link to the company website.
- If it's a large company consider mentioning which team you worked on.
- If it's an outsourcing company consider mentioning which project you worked on.
- For completed projects, it is probably best to use the past tense with the focus on accomplishments (e.g. “developed") instead of a focus on responsibilities (e.g. “developing” or “develop”).
- For projects in progress, you should usually use present tense (e.g. "developing"). Mention what you have accomplished so far.
- Consider having a verb instead of just a noun, e.g. “developed a frontend for a patient management system” versus just “frontend for a patient management system”, this helps clarify what your role on the project was.
- When you choose a programming language, database type, or made other big architectural decisions mentioned the word “designed”.
- If you both designed and developed a system, mention “designed and developed”.
- Try to make sure as many of your accomplishments are measurable.
- If what you built has a lot of users mention the number of users, otherwise the reader will likely assume it has very few users.
- Note that common metrics in tech companies include the number of active users. These usually are 30-day active users (monthly active users), 7-day active users (weekly active users), or 1-day active users (daily active users).
- If you can provide the number of active users instead of registered users because lots of people register, but don’t use the product.
- If most users are inactive then you can mention just users, but a good recruiter will assume most of them are probably inactive.
- If you used distributed computing and other cloud technologies (e.g. AWS) mention the technologies. I also recommend using the word “distributed”.
- If you worked full-time while studying mention the word Full-Time in your role name (e.g. Software Engineer, Full-Time) otherwise the reader will likely assume you spent most of the time studying and worked part-time.